Sunday, April 11, 2010

Alternatives to etherpad

With the closure of etherpad I have been searching for something that offers a similar service. I know that the source code is available, but that is going to require some time and technical experise to set up.
After a quick search I certainly found that there is no shortage of options.
I found the following and I am sure there are many, many more you can add to this list.

ietherpad




typewithme




piratepad




piratenpad





Each of these has a similar look to etherpad. They are all web based word processors that allow pupils and teachers to work together in real time. Each editor appears in a different colour. The only difference I can find is that I had my own account in etherpad so I was able to keep all my pads in one place and find them easily. None of the above sites offers this service.

Tips for using:
1. Ask the student to write their name at the top of the pad before starting. Then it is easy for a teacher to see who has written what after the students have left the computer.
2. The pads automatically generate a page named by a number. These are hard to remember when you want to go back to the pad. To use words to name the page, just type the url that you want when finished e.g.ietherpad.com/readingactivities. The site will ask if you want to make a page called that name - just click create. (If course this will only happen if there is not already a page called by this name.)












3. Use the chatroom as a place where the students can give each other feedback about their work, ideas or participation.

No comments:

Post a Comment